When death occurs at home

Contact your doctor (or the doctor on duty) who will certify that death has taken place and if able will issue a Medical Certificate of Cause of Death. These days most families prefer that the deceased is taken to the Funeral Director’s Chapel of Rest at an early stage. This can be arranged by calling the funeral director at any time day or night.


When death occurs at a nursing or residential home

After informing the family that the death has taken place, the above procedure will also be carried out. The Matron or Warden will advise the family on where to obtain the Medical Certificate of Cause of Death.

When death occurs in hospital

The hospital staff will advise you when and where to collect the above mentioned certificate.

In all cases the Medical Certificate of Cause of Death must be taken to Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages for official record purposes (see registration).